Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Failed Install + gr-osmosdr Troubles

From: Martin Braun (CEL)
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Failed Install + gr-osmosdr Troubles
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 15:38:45 +0100

On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 08:39:57PM -0800, Jacob Dickinson wrote:
> I then uninstalled 3.7.2.1 and installed 3.7.1.1 from the binary
> package (gnuradio_3.7.1.1_Ubuntu-13.10-x86_64.deb). Now gnuradio
> itself works, but when I installed the gr-osmosdr package following
> instructions on the osmocom website, there was no trace of any of the
> blocks in gnuradio-companion.

I'm guessing that the GNU Radio files are in /usr/ and the OsmoSDR files
are in /usr/local. In that case, GRC doesn't look for the blocks in
/usr/local.

To see if this is the problem, set the environment variable
GRC_BLOCKS_PATH to /usr/local/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks/ (or wherever
your blocks are) and start gnuradio-companion. If this works, then you
can statically set this path in ~/.gnuradio/config.conf (see
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GNURadioCompanion).

This behaviour is already documented (Issue #606), but we get very few
people who mix the source and binary builds.

> When trying to import osmosdr directly in a python interpreter: the
> first time I issue the import statement, I get "ImportError:
> /usr/lib/libgnuradio-blocks-3.7.1.1.so.0.0.0: undefined symbol:
> volk_64u_byteswap_u". As far as I can tell, libvolk is installed on my
> machine. The second time I issue the import, the python interpreter
> crashes with a seg fault.
>
> I'm not too concerned about the crashing in 3.7.2.1 unless it's easily
> solvable or related to the second issue. The main thing I'm concerned
> about is getting gr-osmosdr working. Any guidance on troubleshooting
> this? I'm not familiar enough with gnuradio yet to know where to look.

Well, if GNU Radio doesn't work you won't be able to use gr-osmosdr
either. I can't think of a solution off the top of my head, though.

Perhaps this is a case where pybombs might be able to help you.
If you want to try this, do the following:
- Uninstall everything GNU Radio- and OsmoSDR-related
- Run
git clone git://github.com/pybombs/pybombs
cd pybombs
./pybombs install gnuradio

and then

./pybombs install gr-osmosdr