Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Works with GR 3.6, breaks with 3.7

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Works with GR 3.6, breaks with 3.7
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 08:00:44 -0700

Figured I'd chime in since I wrote the code in question. The band edge FLL is probably the wrong thing to use, but it did work surprisingly well for my local setup (at very high SNR), so I left it in. The square-and-FFT block works great for MSK, but Smartnet isn't MSK, it's FSK, and its lack of phase coherence (and variable deviation) mean you won't see those nice 1/2-bitrate FFT spikes.

As Andy points out, the "right" answer is to correlate against the modulated preamble and develop phase, frequency, and timing estimates from the known preamble.

--n

On Oct 18, 2014 6:41 AM, "Andy Walls" <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 2014-10-17 at 12:00 -0400, address@hidden
wrote:

> Message: 33
> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 07:37:25 -0700
> From: John Malsbury <address@hidden>
> To: Luke Berndt <address@hidden>
> Cc: "address@hidden List" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Works with GR 3.6, breaks with 3.7
>
> Also, my understanding for the PLL blocks were that they were ideal for
> "strong carrier" signals like AM.  When I say strong carrier i mean a
> signal that has an obvious carrier which isn't "hidden" under modulation..

John and Luke,

Yup.  GMSK doesn't have any narrow and strong spectral feature on which
one can lock a PLL.  (And the band-edge FLL is the wrong thing to use
too.)

You can however get a spectral feature from the square of the GMSK
signal.  *Assuming* you have an approximately random bit stream,
squaring the GMSK signal gives you spectral peaks at f_c +/- f_b/2,
where f_c is the center frequency and f_b is your bit rate.  See the
attached "GMSK_squared_spectrum.png" which shows the spectra from a
random bit stream.

So you can get a non-data-aided coarse frequency correction doing
essentially what older versions of gr-ais did.  See the attached
"square_and_fft_freq_sync.grc.png".  The gr-ais "freqest" block is the
only non-stock gnuradio block and it just walks the FFT looking for the
spectral peaks at +/- f_b/2 and outputs a frequency correction values
based on how many FFT bins the peaks are offset from the expected center
frequency.

The major tradeoff is the length of the FFT:
1. More FFT points gives you finer resolution bins and a finer
correction.
2. More FFT points protects against pathological data sequences (e.g. a
long run of 0's) that give different spectral peaks which screw up the
correction.
3. Fewer FFT points ensures the start and end of bursts get the proper
correction as the correction reacts faster to the transition from
dead-air to modulated signal.
4. Fewer FFT points ensures faster reaction to changes in frequency
offset.

Although, if you have a known preamble to inspect, data-aided carrier
frequency offset correction is way better than the above non-data-aided
stuff.

Regards,
Andy