Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE and "improperly" stopping gnura

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] LIBUSB_ERROR_PIPE and "improperly" stopping gnuradio
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 23:00:06 +0100

Hi,

> Ok, what about the python script in my previous message? How can I write my
> code in order to prevent the LIB_USB_ERROR_PIPE message. No matter how I
> stop the gnuradio script (e.g. catch keyboard interrupt and issue stop() and
> wait as in my original post), I always get the same message.

Yes, CTRL-C sends a SIGSTOP which can be caught and so proper clean-up
is possible. (although obviously not happenning).

> My intuition
> due to that is that something is not cleaned up properly in UHD level. Any
> suggestions on that?

Not really no.

It's either in UHD, in libusb, in the OS, or even possibly in the FX3
firmware which is a pretty large area to search for a bug.

Whatever a userspace sw does, it should not be able to lockup access
to a device. When the process exits, all should be cleaned up by the
OS. So I'd look in the lower levels first.

Not so long ago, on linux with bladerf, doing sig-kill actually
triggered a but that caused a kernel panic IIRC ... so you see
unplug/replug is not that bad :p  USB3 is still quite new and a lot of
stuff is still buggy.

Cheers,

   Sylvain