Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Inconsistant Gain in X310

From: Daigle, Andrew - 1008 - MITLL
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Inconsistant Gain in X310
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:03:46 +0000

Marcus,

The FFT plots for power levels below and above this non-linear power response threshold in Channel 2 have been provided below. Here a 50.1 MHz tone was channeled into the USRP via a splitter. The USRP channels were set with a rate of 1M samples per second and a 50 MHz CF. I’ve tried this in multiple X310s with multiple different basic RX cards and they all have the same response and always in the second channel around ~-45 dBm.

Here Channel 1 acts exactly as you would expect with the peak 100kHz above DC. The Channel 2 response is almost identical to Channel 1 for powers below -50 dBm and then jumps quite dramatically around -44 dBm. At -40 dBm there is a significant constant difference between the channels. This behavior is mirrored in the time domain (below) where in the first viewgraph the two channels of IQ pairs are identical. Once the power exceeds the power threshold the second channel (purple here) varies wildly compared to channel one. It is almost as if I was saturating an amplifier and the signal is being coupled to a higher order mode? The thing that confuses me the most is that nothing here is changing other than the input power. There is nothing in the software or hardware that I can tell that would be affected by an increasing input power level. Especially one so low compared to the input power limit of -15 dBm? I would also expect the RF chains within the USRP to be identical for each channel so I don’t see why it is only happening in CH2.

Thanks!

-Andrew