[Discuss-gnuradio] Running out of memory during BER simulations

From: Felix W.
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Running out of memory during BER simulations
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:15:49 +0100

Hi list,

I'm currently performing BER measurements for an IEEE 802.15.4 system. In order to do so, I have created a flowgraph (in GRC/python) that is executed for different SNR values until a certain number of bits has been processed. Between every run, I call tb.stop() followed by tb.wait(). Unfortunately, after a few runs (around 20), I get the following error message:

gr::vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmget (2): No space left on device
gr::vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmget (2): No space left on device
gr::vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmget (2): No space left on device
gr::buffer::allocate_buffer: failed to allocate buffer of size 64 KB
gr::vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmget (2): No space left on device
gr::vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmget (2): No space left on device
gr::vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: shmget (2): No space left on device
gr::buffer::allocate_buffer: failed to allocate buffer of size 64 KB
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
Aborted (core dumped)

sysctl says:
kernel.shmall = 2097152
kernel.shmmax = 2147483648

I don't really understand why this happens as my memory usage is very stable and < 20% of total RAM throughout the simulation. In my understanding, calling, tb.stop() and tb.wait() should delete anything the flowgraph allocated before. I also noticed that the block numbers (which are displayed because I call set_min_output_buffer() ) are monotonically increasing during the simulation even though the top block is stopped multiple times. This might be completely unrelated, however it indicates that my understanding might not be correct.

Any ideas?

--Felix Wunsch