Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr logger and alias

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr logger and alias
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 13:04:20 -0500

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Jared Dulmage <address@hidden> wrote:
GR users,

GNURadio 3.7.4 (w/ log4cpp) on Linux (Ubuntu 14).

We have an application that runs several (identical) flowgraphs at once and aggregates logs to a central processor.  We wanted to differentiate the logging info through unique aliases for blocks in different flowgraphs.  However, it appears that the logger only uses the original name of the block for each flowgraph, not the alias we set.  So we can't really tell from which flowgraph a particular log entry came from.  Any ideas on how we could get the logger to use the alias we set as opposed to the default name of the block?

Thanks,
Jared.

Yes, I just pushed a fix for this issue onto master.

The problem is that the logger name is based off the alias when the block is created, but we only set the alias ourselves after construction of the block. That change in the alias was never making it to the logger. This is now fixed, though, so the block's will update the logger format whenever a new alias is defined.

Thanks for pointing it out. It will become part of the 3.7.6 release; you can find the patch in commit 56f69533d1fa2114cd0a70516bdcc14243cfedfe.

Tom