Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help me help myself

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help me help myself
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:42:27 -0500

On 12/22/2014 06:37 PM, Richard Bell wrote:
Hi all,

The goal of this email is to learn how to find answers using available resources on my own in the future. To do this, I will explain what I've done to try and find the answer and then I hope someone can tell me how to finish the process so that next time I can do it on my own.

I'm working through the details of the MM Timing Recovery block. In the process of doing this I've come across the following line in source:

d_omega = d_omega_mid + gr::branchless_clip(d_omega-d_omega_mid, d_omega_lim);

I don't know what gr::branchless_clip does, so I started looking for answers on google and the gnuradio API manual. In the manual, I find this:

http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/namespacegr.html#ace35e8c3e3ad45a5100217d2b6826e1b

but that doesn't tell me what it does. I can't find anymore reference to branchless_clip then this.

From the source code, I don't know how to track down the reference. I've searched my laptop for branchless_clip, but I get no returns.

So the question is, how do I find what branchless_clip does in the MM Timing Recovery block? I care more about the "how do I find" part of the question then the actual answer, though I do want the actual answer.

I used the following "find" command:

find gnuradio -name "*.*" -exec grep -H branchless_clip '{}' ';'

And found the definition in:

gnuradio/gnuradio-runtime/include/gnuradio/math.h: branchless_clip(float x, float clip)

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator