Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] question developing a new block

From: Andreas Ladanyi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] question developing a new block
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 12:51:57 +0200

Hi Marcus,

Dear Andreas,
How is it possible to fill a python grc variable block with data from
another block C++ variable.
not really. GRC variables are a concept that doesn't exist in the flow
graph or, really, in the python file that GRC generates. They just are
python variables used when setting up the block
Setting up means to insert the block in the flow graph and configure them ?!
, and if they are used in
a field for which the block specified a callback method, that method
will be included in a python function that gets called by blocks that
GRC knows can change variables (e.g. GUI input elements); this mechanism
of calling the callbacks doesn't really work without special glue;
ok and this glue (swig file) is produced by a process triggered by the make command in a gr_modtools environment ?

How can i tell gr_modtools or make to produce a callback function or howto program a callback function in the C++ code and the <callback> xml tag in the block xml file myself for my own block so a grc python variable name from flow graph could be inserted in a field of my new block later when configuring my new block in the flow graph ?

I heartily invite you to do this the "GNU Radio way": Using message
passing as the way to exchange information between blocks inherently
solves the multithreading problems that otherwise would arise (for
example, assume you'd be able to change the taps of a FIR whilst that
FIR's work() function is working; what's the correct behaviour? How do
you avoid segmentation faults when the new taps are shorter than the old
ones?). Also, it lets users understand where data/commands flow rather
than hiding that behind a variable name.
Yes i read the message passing chapter and the pmt and will go in detail later.

Best regards,
Marcus
regards und thanks,
Andy