Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Compatibility with Mac OS X

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Compatibility with Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 09:35:17 -0500

Hi Jeon - I maintain GNU Radio / Volk / UHD within MacPorts, and they generally work on OS X 10.8 through 10.11; I know of folks using than on 10.6/7, and I believe they can be coerced into working on 10.5 (Intel or PPC). There are issues here and there, such as that ControlPort doesn't really work (Thrift issues on OS X), and sometimes the UHD interface needs updating between UHD and gr-uhd (rebuilding in the correct order takes care of this). A few users have issues with GRC on 10.11 that I don't experience & we're working on debugging them. I'm not sure what you mean by that GR is "not ready for Retina display" ... I've used a MacBook Pro retina 15" since 2012 & never had issues except with using Qt for a while back in 2012-3; I think we fixed that bug in MacPorts's Qt4 install (but, I might be wrong; it's kinda old now). I know of others who install GR via HomeBrew, and I'd be curious hear from them as to how well it functions -- both "make test" as well as actual runtime & GRC. Good luck! - MLD