Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ham/amateur getting started
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 13:26:46 +0100

On 24/12/15 08:31, Marcus Müller wrote:
> Forgot:
>
> [1] http://marcus.hostalia.de/sdra/pres.pdf

Thanks for the fast reply, I had a look and I notice you emphasize the
USRP products, you mention the B200 and B210 (the OZ9AEC link I found
also mentioned USRP but didn't specify model numbers)

I had a look at the FAQ[1] and spec sheet[2] to try and find comments
about amateur radio use cases, for example,
- how much TX output power?
- suggestions about use with an external TX power amplifier
- is RX or TX restricted on any frequencies by hardware?
- antenna impedance (50 Ohm?)

and I didn't find any comments on these things.

Looking at the accessory list I found that 782781-01 is a 50 Ohm cable
so I guess everything is 50 Ohm?

Even before getting into the software setup, is there any useful guide
on hardware considerations for SDR in an amateur station?  For example:
- power supply requirements
- risk of interference between difference devices in the shack, precautions
- use with other typical amateur equipment (antennas, RX pre-amplifiers,
TX power amplifiers)
- suitability for mobile use-cases, using DC/battery or vehicle power
and with a laptop or even a tablet as user interface

Any feedback or links would be really helpful, maybe they could go in
the GNU Radio wiki Ham page too.

1. http://www.ettus.com/kb/detail/usrp-b200-and-b210-faq
2. http://www.ettus.com/content/files/kb/b200-b210_spec_sheet.pdf