Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Packet drop from Ethernet (A BIG PROBLEM)

From: Nikos Balkanas
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Packet drop from Ethernet (A BIG PROBLEM)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 11:56:25 +0200

Hi Mostafa,

This is a usrp issue, and depends exactly on the hardware. Before you look into the host for optimizing its networking parameters, you should make sure that your hardware can handle it.
For example reducing the sample resolution in your N200. ADCs in USRPs use quad sampling, which means they generate I/Q (imaginary/real) data for each sample. At full resolution, this is 16 bits each or 32 bits/Sample. At reduced sample resolution, which takes place in the FPGA, you get 8 + 8 = 16 bits/sample, therefore half the bandwidth of full resolution going through the wire.

Now, you should be able to handle 20 MS/s at full resolution, 20x32 = 640 Mbps. But a lot of NICS have problems, especially the PCI ones. What is your NIC? What is your OS?

BR,
Nikos