Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Packet drop from Ethernet (A BIG PROBLEM)

From: Nikos Balkanas
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Packet drop from Ethernet (A BIG PROBLEM)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 23:23:26 +0200

Hi Mostafa,

You seem to be confused about sample resolution. There is sample resolution taking place at the FPGA, and sample resolution that can take place at uhd driver in the host. Important to know is that usrp ADCs will sample at 16 bits I/Q (32 bits) /sample. That's a hardware limit you cannot improve upon. If you reduce that at the FPGA to 8bits you save bandwidth from your ethernet. If you change it at the driver, you only make it compatible with your userspace app. Both are controlled at the same place, the streamer. FPGA resolution is configured at stream_args.otw_format, while uhd output resolution is configured at stream_args.cpu_format. For more info check the uhd_usrp_get_rx_streamer at http://files.ettus.com/manual/globals_func_u.html

You also are using a PCI NIC for transfer. These are cheap but notoriously bad. I've tried both a DG-Link and a TP-Link and couldn't get over 300 Mbps, using Realtek's r8169 driver, without even having anything else in my PCI bus.

HTH,
Nikos