[Discuss-gnuradio] Question about output/input buffers

From: Gonzalo Arcos
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about output/input buffers
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 14:44:59 -0300

Do output buffers of a block are always allocated in the same address throughout the same execution of the flowgraph? I need to know this because it would allow me to do some optimization.

For example:

Suppose i have the OFDM Carrier Allocator Block connected to the IFFT block.

On every execution of work() the carrier allocator copies the synch words to the beggining of the output buffer. However, i know that my synch words will always remain the same throughout the entire execution of the flowgraph. Additionally, the fft should not change anything in its input buffer, which is ofdm carrier allocator's output buffer.

So basically, i only need to copy that information once, on the first run, since then that data will remain in the buffer.

This happens ONLY if the ofdm carrier allocator output buffer is not freed/alloc'ed by the gnuradio scheduler more than once per execution of the flowgraph.

Can somebody confirm this?

Thanks