Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dive into gnu-radio

From: Timothée COCAULT
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dive into gnu-radio
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 01:34:43 +0100

Hi,

What I need is:
1) understand the blocks, their purpose and what they do
2) learn how to create a minimal scenario using grc
3) learn how to create blocks of my own
4) create more complicated scenario.

I think there is cruel lack of explanation (not documentation) for the GNU Radio blocks.
The example that struck me is the M&M clock recovery block.
The resources available are the code, the documentation, and the paper cited in the documentation (not available for free though).
However, the best resource I found was a blog post [1] giving some notes, facts and illustration on how this block works.
It's not an in-depth view of the algorithm used, but gives some hints on how to use the block in practice.

This is really the kind of things I would love to see (and contribute !) for each block, but AFAIK, there is no place in the gnuradio ecosystem for such documentation.

[1] https://www.tablix.org/~avian/blog/archives/2015/03/notes_on_m_m_clock_recovery/

Now, there's lots of very good books out there that go into DSP and
wireless communication. They're usually written to address
university-level students. But how do we condense them into nice and
easy tutorials? It's hard.

Now concerning learning DSP theory, I feel that "book knowledge" or tutorials isn't enough for using GNU Radio.
For example, sometimes I can't stay if my signal looks good or if it's just noise. If my demodulation flowgraph doesn't work, I don't know which step messed up, how to check if my data makes sense, which parameter I should change.

This is the kind of things you get by seeing experimented people tackle real life problems.
I watched a workshop of Balint Seeber (at DEF CON) and learned some great things on DSP, analysis, and GNU Radio.
These kind of resources are really great, and I'd love to see more of them.

Cheers,

Timothée.