Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dive into gnu-radio

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dive into gnu-radio
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 22:23:22 -0400

On 03/16/2016 08:34 PM, Timothée COCAULT wrote:

I think there is cruel lack of explanation (not documentation) for the GNU Radio blocks.
Reminds me of a Dylan Thomas piece "A Book with everything about wasps, except why."

Gnu Radio is "embedded" in a number of different complex disciplines, like it or not. There's no getting around it. One might as well declare that the 2nd law of thermodynamics is awfully inconvenient, so let's just wish it away.

There is a difference, I think, between the usability of a tool, and the ease-of-understanding of the discipline for which the tool was created. Some of the documentation complaints are, quite rightly, about usability of the tool. Some are, I would posit, about the steep learning curves of the relevant disciplines. The Gnu Radio development team is well-placed to make great progress in the former, and less, I would assert, in the latter. It may be "nice" if every block included the equivalent of a chapter or two treatise on the subject matter at hand, as if from a college-level textbook, but I don't see that happening, unless someone (a technical writer) puts in the time to do it. It would a poor substitute for curling up with the appropriate reading material oneself in front of a fire, with a cup of Joe, and ones favorite dog at ones feet.

Let me use one of my semi-famous "proximate analogies". When you acquire an eCad system for the first time, to layout circuits and circuit boards, ones frustration is usually about the tool. Becoming frustrated that it requires that you understand simple concepts like current and voltage, what an op-amp is, and how to use one, and what the truth-tables are for a 74LS74 (and again, why you would use one), is not likely to happen. One doesn't expect ones tooling to substitute for the necessary background knowledge. I cannot imagine anyone sitting down in front of a VLSI design tool for the first time, and loudly exclaiming that the "documentation sucks" because it turns out that being successful with the tool requires that you understand a bit (or a lot, really) about VLSI design as a technical discipline.

But I see folks arrive, every day, at Gnu Radio, expecting that no relevant background should be required, that if they aren't immediately successful with the tool, that it must be the tools fault. Granted, some of Gnu Radio's documentation could use improvement, and in fact my decades of experience in technology would suggest that no documentation is EVER "good enough". Because we're all different, and we all learn in different ways. But I think it's exceedingly important to understand the difference between "tool usage" documentation, and "a substitute for a 4 year EECS degree". This isn't elitism or snobbery, it's just that expecting the tool itself to be a substitute for the necessary background just isn't reasonable. The Gnu Radio project doesn't have a large team of technical writers, textbook writers, course-ware writers, etc, etc just waiting to contribute. The emerging Gnu Radio *ecosystem*, however, may be a good place to turn. Yearly Gnu Radio conferences, folks like Jonathan Corgan who run intro-to-SDR courses, the excellent work of folks like Michael Ossmann.
  Online forums like www.dsprelated.com, www.complextoreal.com.

The Gnu Radio project cannot possibly be your "one-stop shop" for all things related to radio, DSP, real-time software design, etc, etc.
  It's just not practical.