Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upgrading GR in MacPorts

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upgrading GR in MacPorts
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 16:22:07 -0400

On 03/21/2016 01:50 PM, Thomas Wagner wrote:
> I will try to upgrade the installation on the Macbook to 3.9.1. It
> took me all night on Saturday to get in on the Macmini,  I kept
> getting GnuRadio error messages on compile,   I finally had to
> uninstall it and start over, then it worked.    I used the macports
> update command.     When I do it on the Macbook, should I uninstall
> 3.7.3 first and then install 3.9.1?

Hi Tom - In general, MacPorts supports upgrading any port while a prior
version is installed. For some specific ports this will not work and the
port upgrade will error out with information on how to do the update.
The GNU Radio ports generally upgrade well without
deactivating/uninstalling any prior version, but if you want to be safe
you can always deactivate the current active version first -- don't
uninstall it in case the upgrade fails!

My advice is to issue the following commands when updating either
MacPorts or any port within MacPorts.

First:
{{{
sudo port selfupdate
sudo port upgrade outdated
}}}
and, if there are errors along the way (say with port 'FOO'), then try:
{{{
sudo port clean FOO
sudo port upgrade FOO
}}}
and see if that helps; or, if port errors out with a specific comment
then follow the instructions in the comment before doing the clean /
upgrade.

The selfupdate will often upgrade the GNU Radio ports too, so look out
for that. If not, then you can install whatever the latest version of
GNU Radio (etc) is via:
{{{
sudo port install gnuradio
}}}

For Mac OS X 10.7 and newer 'port' will usually download a pre-compiled
binary with all default variants. If you need specific variants then the
install will likely need to be from source. In either case if you have
issues with the upgrade then post to this list or, even better, ping me
directly.

Hope this helps! - MLD