[Discuss-gnuradio] Estimating SNR (was: Re: query)

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Estimating SNR (was: Re: query)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 12:13:41 +0200

SNR is signal strength/noise
Yeah, obviously, but what does that mean? how can you *describe* signal strength with a mathematical formula based on the digital samples you have in GNU Radio?

The point is that you'll just need an estimator for the signal energy, and an estimator for the noise power.

There's a lot of estimators for both; for a single tone, Welch's method might be pretty usable. Another approach would be a narrow filter, and a signal-to-magnitude-squared converter.
For noise power, you could just calculate the overall receive signal power, and subtract the signal power estimate.

Best regards,
Marcus