[Discuss-gnuradio] Build installation on Ubuntu

From: Mark Napier
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Build installation on Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 10:24:35 -0400

Hello the camp,

I'm struggling with an installation on Ubuntu 16.04.  Note that apt-get does install a working GNUradio stack and UHD works with a USRP2.  However, my goal is to install a build environment.

For my 1st effort I used git to clone the uhd driver directory and was able to get a clean build from the source and the make test all worked correctly.  After make install uhd_usrp_probe finds the USRP2.  However, on connecting a GRC uhd source to waterfall sink the run fails.  The problem is that the UHD driver is newer than the apt-get installation of gnuradio so the two are incompatible.  Also, the gnuradio install doesn't seem to have the source for a build environment either.

So next effort is to try to use pybombs to install into a prefix directory.  Having all the source and being able to modify it and run in a local sandbox is exactly what I'm after.  Used apt-get to remove uhd and gnuradio.  But I'm finding pybombs difficult to use.

After a few emails from Martin at Ettus and a great deal of tinkering with permissions I can do the following:

$ pybombs recipes add gr-recipes git+https://github.com/gnuradio/gr-recipes.git
$ pybombs recipes add gr-etcetera git+https://github.com/gnuradio/gr-etcetera.git
$ pybombs prefix init  ~/gnuradio/src/prefix -R gnuradio-default

This will init my prefix directory and start the installation and compile of a sandbox.  However, it doesn't finish.  It get to bladeRF and aborts with "Unable to fetch recipe bladeRF".  Whats *much* more frustrating is that I can't get any other form of a pybombs command line to run and give me information about the prefix install.  I just get the "usage" statement.  And the init won't run after the first time, I get a:

PyBombs.prefix - ERROR - Ignoring. A prefix already exists in `/home/napierm/gnuradio/src/prefix'

So if I run:

rm -rf gnuradio/src/prefix/*
rm -rf gnuradio/src/prefix/.*

Then I can start over.  PyBOMBS is supposed to be able to show what is installed and manage/add modules.  Any ideas what to try next?

Thank you very much in advance,

Mark Napier