[Discuss-gnuradio] Cause of thread[thread-per-block[89]: std::bad_alloc

From: Richard Bell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cause of thread[thread-per-block[89]: std::bad_alloc
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 14:12:07 -0700

Hi all,

I've written a packet alignment block whose purpose is to detect packet drops and insert garbage items into the stream to keep the known data stream aligned with the received data stream. I'm testing this with no hardware in the loop at the moment, full simulation.

After a while of working properly, grc fails and returns:
thread[thread-per-block[89]: <block polar_packet_align (9)>]: std::bad_alloc

I'm not sure what in the packet_align block is causing this. Can it be caused by me allowing the input buffer to fillup while I'm producing garbage data and not consuming anything? It was my understanding that in pure simulation, this would simply backup all the buffers before this block until the source block simply sits doing nothing until room is available. Is this correct?

I'm being careful not to dump to the output buffer anything more than noutput_items worth. It was also my understanding that in pure simulations, it would be output buffers overflowing that caused this type of error, is that right?

I'm not sure where to focus my debug efforts on this problem.

Thanks,
Rich