Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OOT Block on Windows feasible?

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OOT Block on Windows feasible?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 14:15:41 +0200

Hi Gavin,

there shouldn't be any difference between development on the different platforms; as long as someone was able to build GNU Radio for your platform, the same method can be applied to building Out-of-tree modules including your own blocks. The only thing that should differ is the way software is compiled/built.

Now, to be completely honest, the Windows build you're currently using is a great, new effort. I personally am very thankful for everything that was done to make this build possible.

However, there's one or two people who have done that binary build, and it might really really just be easier to start your development efforts under a well-tested, broadly used platform rather than Windows at this point; if I had to give a personal assessment, learning to use Linux to use GNU Radio is probably easier than learning how to make things work on windows, because there's lots of experience in the community on doing things on Linux.

That being said:
everything on

http://tutorials.gnuradio.org

applies. It's really just that you need to teach yourself how to build CMake Modules under Windows. However, you mention ADSB, so maybe you already have the experience to build gr-airmodes? That knowledge will probably suffice to get you rolling!

Best regards,
and happy hacking,
Marcus