Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CommRadio CR-1a

From: Ed Criscuolo
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CommRadio CR-1a
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 23:51:07 -0400

On 9/6/16 10:56 PM, Cinaed Simson wrote:
On 09/06/2016 02:05 PM, Ed Criscuolo wrote:
I've just ordered one of these SDR standalone radios,

It appears to be a radio - not a SDR.

No, it is an SDR internally, with a self-contained User interface
and sound output that makes it a complete stand-alone radio.
It uses a PIC microcontroller and a DSP chip to perform
all radio functions, and the SW for both of these is upgradable.

and it has the
capability of outputting its I/Q samples on a USB port.

Evidently only under Windows using the vendors software.
Their Windows Spectrum display Software is irrelevant to
the I/Q protocol used on the USB port by the SDR.

3rd parties can write software based on their protocol.

Which is exactly what I want to do: Write a GnuRadio source
block. Hence, my first question is to see if any one has already
done this.  I've already put in a request to the manufacturer for
the details of the protocol.

Has anyone tried to interface one of these to GnuRadio yet?  Seems that
it would be one solution for HF (aka shortwave) reception.

http://www.commradio.com/cr-1-cr-1a-reference/

Sent from my iPhone