Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AWGN using E310 (Update)

From: John B. Wood
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AWGN using E310 (Update)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 09:26:08 -0400

Hello, all. Perhaps I was a little too optimistic in attempting to use the Ettus E310 as a broadband noise source. I'm using the GRC models "Fast Noise Source" with uniform noise type connected to a "UHD: USRP Sink" with a CF of 1 GHZ and sample rate set to 4 Msps. Running the GRC-generated .py code on the E310's embedded Arm processor results in a reasonably flat noise spectrum over ~3.5 MHz about the CF as displayed on a spectrum analyzer. Attempting to increase the sample rate above 4 Msps to obtain a wider noise BW results in a whole lot of buffer underruns (all those "U"s in the terminal window and a ragged noise output.

The advertised instantaneous BW of the E310 is 56 MHz but clearly the available flat noise spectrum is no where near that. As always your comment is most appreciated. Sincerely,

                        John Wood
                        U.S. Naval Research Laboratory