Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The PLL for the burst signal

From: Jesse Reich
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The PLL for the burst signal
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 13:57:27 -0700

Hi Vicfield,

I actually work on the ground system that receives these signals. They are distress signals from different beacons: EPIRBs (boats), ELTs (planes), PLBs (hikers or anyone who wants a handheld device) that are captured or relayed through satellites to the ground. This allows rescue authorities to locate people in distress. These beacons are actually part of an international system called SARSAT (Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking). Or Cospas-Sarsat (Cospas is a Russian acronym)

http://www.cospas-sarsat.int/?lang=en

This website provides a vast array of information on the beacons, satellites and ground systems. The technical documents (T-Docs) would be most helpful. Particularly C/S T.001 - Specification for Cospas-Sarsat 406 MHz Distress Beacons (I see Marcus provided a link already but here is a newer version).

http://www.cospas-sarsat.int/images/stories/SystemDocs/Current/CS-T001-DEC-2016-Corr-1.pdf

I can certainly help out if you'd like more info. I actually tried to build a beacon decoded in GRC about a year ago but was never able to get it working. The signal is somewhat difficult as it contains (going off of memory here) 160 ms of pure unmodulated carrier, then 15 bits of bit sync, then 9 bits of frame sync. As Vitt mentioned, there is a "test" mode. The frame sync is inverted. See below.

2.2.4.1 Bit Synchronization A bit-synchronization pattern consisting of "1"s shall occupy the first 15-bit positions.
2.2.4.2 Frame Synchronization A frame synchronization pattern consisting of 9 bits shall occupy bit positions 16 through 24. The frame synchronization pattern in normal operation shall be 000101111. However, if the beacon radiates a modulated signal in the self-test mode, the frame synchronization pattern shall be 011010000 (i.e. the last 8 bits are complemented).

Additionally, the BPSK modulation index of +- 1.1 rad makes things a bit more difficult as well.

Good luck, please let me know if there's anything I can do to help although keep in mind I'm an Aerospace Eng not an EE!

Jesse