Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does Rx Gain affect the incoming signal? GNUR

From: Derek Kozel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does Rx Gain affect the incoming signal? GNURadio IEEE 802.11a/g/p
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 12:32:12 +0100

Hello Christian,

The RX gain value controls the analog gain of the USRP's receiver. If you run uhd_usrp_probe on the command line you will see lines such as the following which show the gain range and step size:

|   |   |       RX Dboard: A
|   |   |   ID: TwinRX v1.0 (0x0091)
|   |   |     _____________________________________________________
|   |   |    /
|   |   |   |       RX Frontend: 0
|   |   |   |   Name: TwinRX RX0
|   |   |   |   Antennas: RX1, RX2
|   |   |   |   Sensors: lo_locked
|   |   |   |   Freq range: 10.000 to 6000.000 MHz
|   |   |   |   Gain range all: 0.0 to 95.0 step 1.0 dB

For every dB of gain you add at the frontend you should see a 1 dB increase in signal power amplitude. I recommend using uhd_fft or the USRP source, Frequency Sink, and a Range widget controlling RX gain to look directly at the signal. This should give you an intuitive sense of how RX gain affects your signal amplitude.

From your table it looks like you are trying to change the RX gain in steps smaller than the USRP supports.

This document looks like a quick intro to power and voltage changes with dB.
https://neurophysics.ucsd.edu/courses/physics_120/A%20Practical%20Guide%20to%20Decibels.pdf