[Discuss-gnuradio] Plea for fun code: Replacement for the gr-digital/exa

From: CEL
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Plea for fun code: Replacement for the gr-digital/examples/narrowband/ examples
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 19:29:10 +0000

Hello coolest SDR mailing list known to sapient beings,

it turns out that while cleaning up our code base, we broke most of our
"narrowband" examples[1]. That's kind of OK, because these weren't
overly representative of the "GNU Radio ways" one would pick today.

Still, it's kind of said that we no longer have e.g. a plug-and-play
commandline tool that transfers data over a single carrier, be it test
data for a BER calculation or data from a network device, or whatever.

Here's where you come in: Save the GNU Radio 3.8 release by bringing in
at least ONE new cool python example of how to get data from A to B.

Criteria:

a) simplicity. Don't give me the code complexity of a full application
with GUI and whatnot. Do one thing: use one carrier with pulse-shaped
(B,Q, DB, DQ, 8, 16)PSK, QAM, whatever; send data in packets. Channel
coding is optional!
b) reliability. Needs to work on next, and reliably so. That means no
packet_mod /_demod.
c) hardware independence. use the integrated gr-uhd interface, or
alternatively just a file sink and source (using a named pipe to send
samples to an SDR device is usually pretty simple). If in doubt, use
only the file method.
d) packetizing. We need the input data (and only that) to come out or
be subject to calculations.

Non-criteria:

a) Novelty. You don't have to invented this. It might already be there
as a GRC example that just needs to be slightly touched. Or not at all.
b) Perfection. Doesn't have frequency sync, doesn't recover timing
perfectly? Students are going to read this to learn what can be done
better. Be suboptimal and open about that.

Hey, thank you, and happy hacking
Marcus

[1]https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/issues/1958