[Discuss-gnuradio] Grid/Coordinate placement ('GUI hint' QY/WX) control

From: Mark
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Grid/Coordinate placement ('GUI hint' QY/WX) control query
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 22:51:24 +0100

This is perhaps a trivial query about the use of QT (or WX) GUI controls when trying to design widgets (GUI controls) to position themselves on the runtime workspace in GNU Radio.

For example, if I try to place a QT button control at ‘GUI hint’ coordinates 0,0,1,1, I can never seem to get the button to span just a small width – the button spans the take up the entire column workspace at runtime.

Furthermore when placing other widgets, despite trying to use the ‘GUI Hint’ correctly, the placement and width of controls appear to interfere with one another and get displaced into unexpected areas of the workspace when the flow graph is executed at runtime.

I’ve tried to follow what little has been published about how the GUI Hint function is suppose to work, but the widgets still appear to give odd behaviours.

I shouldn’t compare this with say developing GUI’s in Visual Studio etc; but it seems to me that despite being me being able to design flowcharts that result in fully functional radio systems with GNU Radio and my USRP, I find the frustration of working with ‘GUI Hint’ problematic when trying to design a usable user interface from scratch.

Maybe there is no hard and fast rule how to use the ‘GUI Hint’ function but if anyone can spare time to offer more detailed guidance on the ‘GUI Hint ‘function and its usage then I should be very grateful for the clarification.

Thank you if you are able to help,

Mark