Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Grid/Coordinate placement ('GUI hint' QY/WX) cont

From: Mark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Grid/Coordinate placement ('GUI hint' QY/WX) control query
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 17:28:48 -0000

Thank you for your reply Marcus, I'm very grateful for your time.

I've been away from GNU Radio for a couple of years. On returning, I was
pleased and excited to see the development of new powerful processing blocks
available in GNU Radio but at the same time I was disappointed to see that the
GUI aspect of GNU Radio had not been developed further. However, I understand
this is not the prime purpose of GNU Radio - to produce polished visualisations
with GUI's.

I see that others have used GNU Radio as a 'core engine' to provide their
Qt-based GUI designs with the power to do their work. For example, Alexandru
Csete's (OZ9AEC) 'Gqrx SDR application'.

Whereas I'd visualised developing from the same approach as Alexandru, I'd
hoped that GNU Radio would have provided this level of design functionality
'natively', so to speak, without the need to design the GUI in a separate
application. However, again, I understand this is not the prime function of GNU
Radio, except to provide a flexible and powerful means by which to experiment
with signals through software.

I will return to my original plan, to develop my own GUI, based on Qt etc; and
to sit that on top of GNU Radio functionality.

Once again, I'm grateful for your advice and thanks again.

Mark

M0XMH