[Discuss-gnuradio] VHDL code testing with GNURadio?

From: Murray Thomson
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] VHDL code testing with GNURadio?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:12:15 +0100

Hi,

I have seen the project openCPI but I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for. Hoping that someone will point me in the right direction.

I am writing some VHDL code and I was hoping to use GNURadio to test it. When I'm finished, I will compile and deploy it using Quartus II so I am not looking for full integration, deployment, cross platform... just testing my code as a GNURadio block.

At the moment I'm using vunit where I have a testbench that reads a file and sends it to my VHDL block and writes the output to another file.

Is there any way to create a python or C++ block and in the 'work' function I call whatever magic this vunit is doing? If I could go from a VHDL block to a GNURadio block where I have signals as inputs and outputs I could test it in "real time" which would be awesome.

I'm not expecting good performance or lots of features, just inputs and outputs. Is there a project that would help me do this? I have read part of the openCPI documentation that gives me the impression that it could be used but setting that up looks far more complex than the VHDL code that I want to implement... J!

Cheers,
Murray