[Discuss-gnuradio] Storing temporary data in GNU Radio

From: Nick Sukhov
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Storing temporary data in GNU Radio
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 23:17:44 -0400

Greetings!

I need to implement following procedure in GNU Radio and I’m lost on how to do
it. I want to split a stream of data into a vectors, than add up these vectors
consequently for some time (1000 additions for instance) and then store the
information into file. I wanted to design a block for that consequent addition,
but I can’t find a standard way to create temporary storage (like an array) in
a block so every time GNU Radio runs the block, I would have access to this
storage and could change it. I could probably define a global variable and
manually write it in the block, but that feels wrong and cannot be realized in
GRC blocks alone. I also tried redirecting a stream from the output of the
block to it’s input, but GNU Radio does not allow me to do that, and I don’t
know if I can bypass it.

Do you know a nice way to design such block? I cannot simply store a lot of
data in a file and process it later, because I’m planning to record a signal
for days and I would definitely run out of memory.

Thank you!

Nick Sukhov