Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] continous Tx voice transmission

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] continous Tx voice transmission
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 21:11:17 +0100

I've had rather longish discussions on how to solve this; essentially:
for something that actually *solves* the issue (instead of postponing
it), as Ian said, you'd need to have clock domain crossing ability.

Assuming you do that in GNU Radio, you'd end up with the problem of
needing to know which end is a little faster than the other; and that's
where things tend to get hairy, because GNU Radio not only runs very
timing-undeterministically, but also consumes variable amounts of
samples per Work call.
You could try to estimate the average rate of samples going through a
flowgraph, but then you're estimating a hardware clock rate with a
software clock; I've got my doubts you'll get low enough estimator
variance in short enough time without a lot of parameter tuning! At
least, if you're in non-realtime userland (I'm told that Jack can do
something like that; I just haven't caught up on that).

Alternatively, you could take resampling action based on buffer
fillage, but just like with a rate estimate, you've got timing
uncertainties plus the fact that GNU Radio processes samples in uneven
blocks, so you get a lot of Jitter, if you will, that ruins short-term
estimates. For larger terms: If you can accept high latency, you can
use larger buffers, and your buffer should "ideally" be half full (or
whatever, constant fillage, just far away from completely empty of
full). A control loop observing the downstream buffer writter's fillage
(by simply looking at `noutput_items`) controlling a resampling ratio
might work well - I just haven't tried. Ideally, you'd do that at the
end with the high rate, to avoid seconds of audio buffers. But, that
increases CPU load and also relative timing quantization (and reduces
the "safety time" a larger buffer gives you).

Alternatively, I could imagine someone hacks together a hardware
frequency divider that one could feed from a software-superimposed Out-
Of-Band tone produced alongside with the radio signal by the B200mini.
Use that to generate the oscillator needed by an audio ADC. Would solve
the underlying 2-clock problem at its source, but isn't really a
flexible or generally applicable solution.

Best regards,
Marcus