Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Event Detection and Spectral Line Radio Astronomy

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Event Detection and Spectral Line Radio Astronomy Working.
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 13:50:42 -0400

On 04/09/2019 01:00 PM, Glen I Langston wrote:
Hello Gnu-Radio.

We’ve been working to get Radio Astronomy working reliably in Gnuradio.   A number of
folks have made some excellent contributions to this area.

Kevin Bandura and I have been working with the Green Bank Observatory to develop
horns for observation of the spiral arm structure of the Milky Way.   The

The latest Gnuradio spectroscopy and event detection graphs are in the West Virginia University
contributions to GitHub; i.e.

Follow the instructions to install the graph and build the code.
The documentation on the graphs are at:

There are some configuration files tuned with Radio Astronomy, but the event detection
code (written in C++) should have a wide applicability for detection of glitches in your
time series of samples.   Attached is an image of radio transient detected in February 2019,
that has the characteristics consistent with a cosmic ray flash, that is part of our science
target.

The radio astronomy graphs have been used with Airspy, Airspy-mini, the various RTLSDR dongles, PlutoSdr and LimeSdr
hardware.
So, one of the problems with "singleton" events is that they aren't unambiguously "the thing that you're looking for".  Glitches from
  RFI are very common, for example.  If you had events like this from two independent antennae+receiver chains, they might be
  "meaningful", for certain values of "independent".

Someone in Gnuradio pointed out that a lot of our code was concerned more with post process of recorded data
than truly part of gnu radio.   Now, all the post-processing code, and some documentation is obtained with

Finally, we’d like some help with one aspect of event detection.
Right now we’re limited to about 6MHz bandwidth (12 MHz samples) with the existing hardware/software.

We’d like to use the Analog Devices PlutoSdr internal computer to sample at a higher data rate (50 MHz or so), but
only detect rare transients at a rate of once or twice a minute.
That's not likely to be fruitful.  The PlutoSDR internal ARM CPU is in no way "up to the task", and the FPGA is rather full, but if it's
  at all possible, the FPGA is the place to do it.

We’d like to update the Pluto firmware to perform this task, while simultaneously allowing Gnuradio to
run on the host pc/single board.

The code is already complete, but not ported to the PlutoSdr.  Anyone interested in collaborating
on this project?

Thanks

Glen Langston