Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Event Detection and Spectral Line Radio Astronomy

From: Glen I Langston
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Event Detection and Spectral Line Radio Astronomy Working.
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 15:00:51 -0400

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your comments.   Looks like you’ve been making very good progress at your observatory.

On Apr 9, 2019, at 1:50 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
\
The radio astronomy graphs have been used with Airspy, Airspy-mini, the various RTLSDR dongles, PlutoSdr and LimeSdr
hardware.
So, one of the problems with "singleton" events is that they aren't unambiguously "the thing that you're looking for".  Glitches from
  RFI are very common, for example.  If you had events like this from two independent antennae+receiver chains, they might be
  "meaningful", for certain values of "independent".

Yes, single events certainly are suspect, if not in some way confirmed. We did a longer term test, March 5-9, 2019,
and did see a pattern in the event rate with a single horn.   Plot below shows most events are found during the
day, and maybe are due to airplanes, spacecraft or Sun.   We see a dramatic drop in rates at night.

Concerning immediate confirmation, we also have had two horns observing simultaneously and do see
rough coincidence between the events in the two horns.  The data are not completely conclusive
and I’m preparing to make some software changes to get better time tagging of events.

My goal is to get 4 horns arranged in a “Y” and correlate the common events, since we’re recording
time tagged voltages.   With a total spacing of 40’, we might achieve localization of about 1 degree
uncertainty on the sky.   All 4 horns have computers that are time-served by the same local, GPS-based, time
server computer on the network.

We’d like to use the Analog Devices PlutoSdr internal computer to sample at a higher data rate (50 MHz or so), but
only detect rare transients at a rate of once or twice a minute.
That's not likely to be fruitful.  The PlutoSDR internal ARM CPU is in no way "up to the task", and the FPGA is rather full, but if it's
  at all possible, the FPGA is the place to do it.

Well, I’m certainly not yet up to being able to write the code, although I learned a good bit from
“unixpunk”.  They’ve put a pretty powerful version of the PlutoSdr firmware on the web.
( see https://github.com/unixpunk/PlutoWeb )

We’d like to update the Pluto firmware to perform this task, while simultaneously allowing Gnuradio to
run on the host pc/single board.

The code is already complete, but not ported to the PlutoSdr.  Anyone interested in collaborating
on this project?

Thanks again for your suggestions,

Best regards,
Glen