[Discuss-gnuradio] Possible solution to USRP Packet Dropping

From: Moses Browne Mwakyanjala
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Possible solution to USRP Packet Dropping
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:14:27 +0200

Hello everyone,
I'm experiencing packet dropping when I operate the USRP X310 (1GBe, 1472 bytes buffer) at high sample rates (around 20 MSamples/Second). This severely limits the nominal bit rate I was hoping for. Over a year ago, I stumbled upon a presentation [1] where the presenter was able to go around the problem by creating a block he called buffer. Basically, this block converts high rate complex IQ samples into 2-byte char and store them somewhere in RAM. The data is then released at a low-enough rate such that subsequent blocks cause no overflows. Sadly, the code is not public and I was thinking of writing a similar block myself. I'm looking for ideas on how to efficiently reproduce his results. All suggestions are highly welcomed.

Regards,
Moses.
image.png

[1] https://youtu.be/sDz9Ove0Dgc?t=581