Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Possible solution to USRP Packet Dropping

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Possible solution to USRP Packet Dropping
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:03:07 +0200

Hi Moses,

two observations:
1. If buffering 4 billion items (or bytes, or what ever "buffer size"
refers to here) helps, then only because it "smoothens" over the CPU
load by storing away seconds to minutes worth of data. If your computer
needs that long to catch up, something is too slow.
2. Instead of using a buffer block, realize that GNU Radio itself is
buffer based [1]. In the "advanced" tab of any block in GRC you can set
the Minimum Output Buffer Size to your liking, and have a 4 GB buffer
without any ado!

Again, if 4GB of buffering is necessary, your system is probably simply
too slow on average, and you'll run into problems, just a bit later.

[1] https://www.gnuradio.org/blog/2017-01-05-buffers/