Re: Is there anything about USRP blocks that breaks them within hier blo

From: CEL
Subject: Re: Is there anything about USRP blocks that breaks them within hier blocks?
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 09:04:04 +0000

Hi Lukas, hi Marcus the prime,

the UHD blocks *can't* know they're in a hier block. That information
is not available to them, at all. "Hier Block" is just a flow-graph
construction-time concept: It doesn't exist when the UHD block is
constructed, and it doesn't exist when the flow graph starts executing.

_BUT_: When you run a GNU Radio flowgraph, you call the start() method
of a top_block, which is essentially a hier block containing the whole
flow graph. It was told which blocks and connections (vertices and
edges) make up the flow graph, by being told to
top_block.connect(start,end) blocks. In the case of hier blocks, the
connect() thing basically leads to a recursive addition of the subgraph
contained in the hier block.

However, with your zero in- and output hier block,
top_block.connect(something) was *never* called with the hier block,
and hence, the hier block didn't become part of a flow graph that is to
be executed. It's just a graph that *exists*, not one that *does*
something.

TL;DR: can't use a hier block without outside connections, since that's
not becoming part of the top_block that'll be executed.

Best regards,
Marcus the second