Re: Issue with USRP N210

From: Kyeong Su Shin
Subject: Re: Issue with USRP N210
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 18:57:21 +0000

Hello Akram:

All that means is that the authors of the article saw higher FM signal strength than you. Maybe their building walls caused less path loss than yours. Maybe they are located in a less-crowded area (less buildings around). Maybe they have FM stations in closer proximity. Maybe they used different antennas. I don't know, there are just too many possibilities. These power values do not mean anything, unless you control such variables (which is probably not feasible in this case).

True (absolute) power levels are typically measured in milliwatts or in watts. Communication enginners usually convert them to decibel scale and call them decibel-milliwats (dBm) or decibel-watts (dBW). This is the true electromagnetic power level. USRPs cannot measure this (unless you calibrate them using calibrated analyzers).

USRP N210s sample at 100 MS/s. Therefore, they need to make faster clocks by multiplying that 10 MHz to higher clocks using PLLs. This can leak into your receiver. The easiest way to fix this is... just getting a different radio (with different clock rate). Or just ignoring it. While (actually) fixing or suppressing it is possible in theory, it's not a simple job (if it was easy, Ettus Research would have done it for you). Such spurious signals are pretty common on cheap radios (and yes, USRP N210s are not considered expensive.. when compared to other higher-end radios or measurement equipments).

(Also, I added discuss-gnuradio back to the recipient list.)

Regards,
Kyeong Su Shin

보낸 사람: whoppix_tn whoppix <address@hidden>
보낸 날짜: 2020년 3월 30일 월요일 오전 2:50
받는 사람: Kyeong Su Shin <address@hidden>
제목: Re: Issue with USRP N210

Hi Kyeong Su Shim,

Based on the snapshot from the link below, I was expecting something around -50dB

What does absolute power level mean?

Indeed, it looked odd to me to have that spike at 100MHz. How can I avoid having this kind of leakage? And how come that it's 100Mhz, I thought the clocktamer was configure at 10Mhz...

Regards,
Akram