Re: Gnuradio 3.7

From: Adrian Musceac
Subject: Re: Gnuradio 3.7
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 08:46:02 +0000

With gnuradio Qt is a bigger problem than Python, with some distro packages using qt4, others using qt5.

On April 27, 2020 7:44:48 AM UTC, Johannes Demel <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Vincenzo,

one major change in Ubuntu 20.04 is: Python 2 is removed. "Long live
Python 3+!" [0] Theoretically you could re-enable it but this is
discouraged.

One major change for GNU Radio 3.8 is Python 3 support for exactly this
reason. Python2 is dead effective 2020-01-01. We had 10 years to port
everything from 2 to 3.
Also, Qt will probably be tricky too but that's just a guess.

So, if you want to (or have to) use GNU Radio 3.7, stick with Ubuntu
18.04. This would be the reasonable approach. If you'd want to use an
OOT module that was not ported to 3.8, now might be a good time to port it.

Cheers
Johannes

[0]
https://pythoninsider.blogspot.com/2020/04/python-2718-last-release-of-python-2.html