Handshake and Message Passing with gr-ieee802-11

From: Cameron Matson
Subject: Handshake and Message Passing with gr-ieee802-11
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 13:00:47 -0500

Hello,

I'm trying to implement a handshaking scheme using message passing.  I'm starting from the gr-ieee80211 loopback example.  My plan was to build a block that buffers (using std::queue) input messages from the Wifi Mac block on one message port, and then when it receives a message on a second message port, pops the first message off the queue and pushes it to an output message port.  The output is fed into the WiFi PHY Hier block whose MAC out port is connected to that second "ack" port of the buffer block.  The first message is passed through automatically without waiting for an "ack".

Here's a image of the flowgraph:
https://imgur.com/a/m5w9SHo

The idea is that this would be a first step in a handshaking scheme where the tx path would initially send out a kind of rts, and then begin to buffer the message while waiting for an ack/cts from the rx, then it would send its data.

The buffer seems to be building up in size as I'd expect, and the first message goes through, but I get no output from the WiFi Phy block, and so the buffer just continues to grow in size without sending out any more messages.  Since my block passes the messages through unaltered, why wouldn't the PHY block handle the output of my block the same as if it weren't there?

Thanks
cameron