Re: Packet TX and RX on E312

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: Packet TX and RX on E312
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 18:26:49 -0400

On 06/25/2020 12:44 PM, Cameron Matson wrote:
I moved my setup from e312s to n310s so that I could run the flowgraphs with the gui blocks to help with debugging. It looks like the phase is off at the RX as the constellation gui from the USRP (the one before the Packet Rx block) is rotating. I'm able to adjust the magnitude of the IQ data by playing with the tx and rx gain, but I can't get the phase to lock.

What are some of the knobs I can turn to help the Packet Rx block detect the signal given the phase offset?

Thanks,
Cameron
So an independent RX and TX will NOT be operating on exactly the same frequency. This means that for many types of phase-sensitive modulation, the RX needs to track the phase rotation caused by the (small) frequency difference. This is just standard modem
  design, and you'll need to look at carrier-tracking with PLLs, etc.

There are a plethora of folks on here more adept than I at suggesting which PLL approaches to take, but suffice it to say, any modem RX design
  that doesn't include some kind of PLL-based tracking is "born flawed".