Ubuntu PPA gnuradio-releases doesn't actually install

From: Paul Boven
Subject: Ubuntu PPA gnuradio-releases doesn't actually install
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 15:04:35 +0200

Hi everyone,

Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal) ships with GNU Radio 3.8.1.0~rc1-2build2. I have added the gnuradio-releases PPA on my machine, assuming that it would get me the slightly newer release version of 3.8.1.0. However, after adding the PPA, the Ubuntu provided release candidate version still gets installed, not the PPA version.

apt policy gnuradio:
  Installed: 3.8.1.0~rc1-2build2
  Candidate: 3.8.1.0~rc1-2build2
  Version table:
 *** 3.8.1.0~rc1-2build2 500
500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     3.8.1.0~gnuradio~focal-1 500
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnuradio/gnuradio-releases/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

So the package is seen as available, but the OS prefers the rc1 version. Is this because the version number string is considered 'higher' alphabetically than the version string of the PPA version? (3.8.1.0~rc1-2build2 against 3.8.1.0~gnuradio~focal-1). Did we get the naming or version numbering convention wrong in the PPA?

After some research, I managed to install the PPA version:
sudo apt install gnuradio=3.8.1.0~gnuradio~focal-1

This fails at first, because all of the Ubuntu provided gnuradio library packages have 3.8.1.0 in their name, whereas the PPA packages don't - so they are not seen as up/downgrades, and instead, massive file conflicts ensue. These can be resolved by first removing the gnuradio package, and all its dependencies, and then installing the gnuradio from the PPA. This will then pull in all the dependencies from the PPA as well.

But on the next 'apt upgrade', the PPA version will be replaced again by the OS version (causing the same level of mayhem), unless I start pinning stuff.

(I don't particularly need anything that's in the release version, versus the release candidate version, as far as I know - I was just surprised that when switching to this PPA, I didn't actually get the release version and had to investigate).

Regards, Paul Boven.