Re: First appear of the USRP blocks in GNU Radio

From: Derek Kozel
Subject: Re: First appear of the USRP blocks in GNU Radio
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 10:10:33 +0000

Hi Isaac,

The USRPs were originally built with the GNU Radio project in mind. Here's probably the first email about the USRP1 in September 2002.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2002-09/msg00028.html

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2003-06/msg00010.html
links to: https://web.archive.org/web/20030610161838/http://www.comsec.com/wiki?UniversalSoftwareRadioPeripheral

Which has the line: "The Universal Software Radio Peripheral (if you have an idea for a better name, let us know)"

And the first USRPs for sale.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2004-12/msg00090.html

Reading the first few years of emails on the list is a fun way to spend an evening. Lots of people who are still around in the community or doing SDR in different spaces like Gerald at FlexRadio.

Cheers,
Derek