Re: Teething problems with new GNU Radio 3.9 installation

From: Ryan Volz
Subject: Re: Teething problems with new GNU Radio 3.9 installation
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 00:05:05 -0400

Hi Brendan,

On April 21, 2021 7:14:41 PM EDT, Brendan Horsfield
<brendan.horsfield@vectalabs.com> wrote:
Hi Ryan,

Thanks, that sounds like a MUCH easier way of doing things!

A couple of questions:

- I don't have much experience with virtual environments.  If I install
one of your packages into a conda environment, will I still be able to
  access applications & libraries that were installed outside of conda
  (specifically Python, TensorFlow, CUDA & Docker)?  Or will I have to
reinstall those resources inside the same conda environment as the GNU
  Radio package?

Everything would have to be installed into the conda environment, assuming you
want to use them in the same Python process. (You could probably get tricky
with PYTHONPATH or something, but I sure wouldn't recommend it.) Tensorflow and
CUDA stuff could be a little tough, because currently that requires mixing the
conda-forge channel (community-supported, where uhd and gnuradio are) and the
defaults channel (provided by Anaconda Inc., where tensorflow-gpu is
available). Depending on how you install conda, you'll want to make sure you
also have the defaults channel available at a lower priority than conda-forge:

conda config --append channels defaults

Then

conda install tensorflow-gpu

should work to get you everything (assuming you have the NVIDIA driver
installed normally). It would be good to double-check my instructions by
consulting some guides, e.g.:

https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/user-guide/tasks/tensorflow/

Assuming you mentioned Docker only as a way to get tensorflow set up with GPU
support, then you shouldn't need it. Hopefully tensorflow-gpu will make it to
conda-forge soon (the infrastructure needed to do the build has only recently
been set up, and pytorch-gpu was added just today), and then installation will
get even easier.

 - Slightly off-topic, but still related:  As mentioned in my original
post, I have already installed UHD & GNU Radio from source on my
system.
This was not done inside a virtual environment.  If I now want to
uninstall
those items, is it as simple as going into their respective "build"
folders
(e.g. ~/workarea-gnuradio/gnuradio/build) and running "sudo make
uninstall"
  and "sudo make clean"?  Or is there more to it than that?

That should clean up all of the installed files (the make uninstall part, clean
would not be necessary), but configuration files and cache files would still
remain. It's almost certainly not necessary to uninstall your other build while
trying/using the conda one as I've never experienced interference of that
flavor. What could cause trouble are the config/cache files that would remain
either way. But now you know about that possibility and know to clean those out
if there are any problems. Just make sure to activate your conda environment
and you'll be good to go.

Thanks,
Brendan.

Cheers,