Call for Volunteers: GNU Radio Code of Conduct Committee

From: Derek Kozel
Subject: Call for Volunteers: GNU Radio Code of Conduct Committee
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 17:24:50 +0100

Hello,

The GNU Radio project has a Code of Conduct [1] which outlines the behaviors expected and required by everyone participating in our spaces, whether online or in-person. Our CoC is strongly based on the Contributors Covenant v1.4 [2] which is used by many projects and we're updating to the latest language, version 2, which expands on the standards and enforcement steps. We have received several each year, varying in severity and topic, since the introduction of the code. These reports have been responded to by project leads and volunteers at the leads request. Enforcing the Code of Conduct is very important to maintaining and improving the positive experience and accountability that everyone in the community should experience.

Thankfully we receive very few reports but we'd like to form a group who are responsible for receiving the reports, evaluate them, and decide on the appropriate consequences. Are you interested in volunteering to help the project as a member of the responders group or finding out more? If so, please email coc@gnuradio.org.

Last year I took a Code of Conduct incident response training to learn more in depth how other open source project groups handle reports and observations of behavior that is questionable or clearly harmful. It was a great class run by Sage Sharp, who has recently joined the Software Freedom Conservancy. The materials and code of conduct response guides from that course are available online [3] and if the CoC responders feel it would be useful we could look at sending more members to training.

Thank you,
Derek

[1] https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md
[2] https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct/