Re: Signal Capture and Playback Noise

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: Signal Capture and Playback Noise
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 17:47:30 -0500

On 2022-01-27 17:30, nickrestivo@cornictech.com wrote:

Hi GNU Radio users,

I am experiencing some interesting noise captured on a signal analyzer when trying to playback a captured signal using an Ettus B200 with both GNU Radio blocks and UHD example code. The UHD example code I am using is:

The GNU Radio blocks I am using are simply a USRP Source into File Sink for capture and a File Source into USRP Sink for playback (both programs operating at a 10M sample rate).

The signal I am capturing is a 500MHz pure sine wave fed directly out of a signal generator into the TX/RX port of the B200. The playback with noise I am receiving is directly out of the B200 TX/RX port into a signal analyzer and is pictured here:

Is this peak 1kHz from the carrier expected? Could this be the LO or some other noise on the board leaking through due to a lack of filtering? Is this re-creatable on other hardware? I can send the captured data if there isn’t an obvious answer to why there is a signal at 499.999MHz.

Another piece to the puzzle I feel like I should mention is that when running “tx_waveforms –rate 10000000 –freq 500000000” and feed it directly into signal analyzer the output is only a peak at 499.999MHz…

Is this offset within tolerance of B200 hardware, or is there a bigger issue happening here?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Nick Restivo

Working backwards here, an offset of 1kHz in 500MHz is about 2PPM, which is easily within the bounds of what is to be expected from a device with
  a 2.5PPM master oscillator.  Don't know what the specs are of your analyser, either.

What amplitude level are you feeding into the B200 from your signal generator?  Anything significantly higher than what you'd expect from an
  antenna can lead to non-linearities.

If you take your capture file, and "play" it in a Gnu Radio flow-graph, do you see the spectral artifacts or not?