Re: Realtime Kernel, UHD 4.0, GNURadio

From: John Sallay
Subject: Re: Realtime Kernel, UHD 4.0, GNURadio
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 16:28:53 -0400

I have found that using chrt can make a big difference with USRP performance.    When using rx hardware I will run my flowgraph with chrt -f 99 python3 my_flowgraph.py.  Even when I run the ettus provided benchmarks, I have found that I will eventually drop data without realtime priority.  If you are using GRC, there is an RT setting that you can apply.  Either way, you have to have permissions set up properly to be able to elevate a process to have real time priority.

I don't know about GNURadio compatibility with realtime linux, but I have never needed it.  I've always been able to keep up using chrt and occasionally taskset.