GRC blocks become unresponsive w data stored in Variable Blocks

From: George Edwards
Subject: GRC blocks become unresponsive w data stored in Variable Blocks
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 14:44:27 -0500

Hello GNURadio Community,

Several Gnuradio tutorials show Variable Blocks that compute filter coefficients which are passed as input parameters to dsp signal processing blocks. In the past, I designed a GRC flow graph with a Variable Block that computes filter coefficients that were passed as an input parameter to a C++ OOT block I made. In the GRC, it is easy for me to import the scipy library and use a Variable Block to access the scipy library and conveniently design a filter that that does not exist in Gnuradio C++ library and pass the coefficients as an input parameter to my C++ signal processing block.

I recently built a C++ OOT block which requires long filter lengths and four sets of filter coefficients rather than one. Problems are:

Problem 1. When I type gnuradio-companion in the terminal and hit enter, it takes forever to load the GRC flow graph.
Problem 2. When the GRC Flow Graph opens, if I click on any of the blocks, it takes forever to open and the same goes for editing and closing the block.

Is it a problem that the GRC flow graph becomes unresponsive when there are filter coefficients to compute in Variable Blocks?  Because if I disable these Variable Blocks, things become normal and responsive again.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Regards,
George