Re: burst mode for hackrf one

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: burst mode for hackrf one
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 16:39:13 -0400

On 05/11/2022 12:14, Roland Schwarz wrote:

I never complaint that the behavior is different from my expectations. (I inadvertently filed a bug, sorry for that.) Instead I am just looking for the correct point to start, without reinventing the wheel. Since documentation on the topic is sparse and understanding the data flow from looking at three different layers, which are not implemented in the same way as you say is hard, I thought I could try to get some insight from the knowledgeable's on this list. :-)

Now *some* of this can kind of sort of be "faked" in the drivers. But things like hardware-precise burst timing?  Nope.

As a first step I am not looking for 'precise' burst timimg. When I create a burst PDU and convert it with PDU to Stream I am happy if that packet is sent out by the transmitter. Currently the send buffer waits until it is full before any data gets out of the tx.
So it seems that the question you're *actually* asking is somewhat disjoint from the question I *thought* you were asking--
  my apologies.

It *sounds* like you want to understand how to get "bursty" behavior from Gnu Radio's overall "streaming" doctrine--and THAT
  is only tangentially related to the underlying hardware.

"I created a PDU, sent it through the modulators, but the resulting buffer is small enough that it's getting 'hung up' inside GR".    Since I'm not a TX guy primarily, I'm not actually sure how this is dealt with, and others might have some insights--there   have been a crap-tonne of people who have used GR for TX, and often in "bursty" mode--like sending CW on HF, for example.   One technique that likely works OK is "zero stuffing".  You send a constant stream of 0s in "idle" state, and when a PDU comes
  along it interrupts the otherwise-boring stream of 0s.