Audio sink aU underrun

From: Rakesh M
Subject: Audio sink aU underrun
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 09:57:13 +0530

Dear All,

I am having a Zynq based custom hardware which  runs GNU radio.

My platform is an old one
GNU radio version 3.7.4
linux kernel 3.17.0
Custom platform is AD9361+Zynq combination. Similar to AD9361+Zc706 with an audio codec.

I am trying to access Audio sink block to play back an audio. When I connect a signal source to the Audio sink .I get "aU" underruns consistently. When I connect it to other widgets I am able to see spectrum, time domain waveform etc.

When I try to monitor system activity I observe that CPU cycles are consumed by Pulse Audio application when unit spits out "aU". "htop" print attached. As I understand pulse audio stands between GNU radio and ALSA.

Query :: How to have an audio link without the burden of Pulse Audio application??
My aim is to avoid audio underruns.

My aim here is to run some signal processing on FPGA (FM demodulation - we have system generator tool sets for this purpose) and finally use GNU radio Source block to relay audio output from FPGA  to an audio sink ie GNU Radio Source block will generate audio data and not IQ samples. Preferable audio sampling rate is 48kHz