Re: [Discuss-gnustep] Localization

From: richard
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnustep] Localization
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:26:37 +0100

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:07:41 +0400, igor@raduga.dyndns.org wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 02:46:32PM +0100, richard@brainstorm.co.uk wrote:
> > Yes (and you might want to localize the keyEquivalent too).
> Already did this, but menu still shows items without text <
> Maybe, menu can't contain localized strings? I have tried just
> Quit=Quit; , so no real localization was done. Still empty text in
> menu.

That should have worked - there is no reason why a menu shouldn't show
localized strings.  My guess is that something strange is going on with
character sets/fonts so that the display code is drawing the text incorrectly.

> I have looked onto NSMenu*.m and could not find any localization code
> in it. For example NSPanel.m contains
> [bundle localizedStringForKey: string value: string table: table]
> and NSMenu*.m don't have any.

It doesn't need any localisation code - you localize the strings that you use
to set the menu item titles and key equivalents, and the menu should just use
the strings you gave it.