Re: [Discuss-gnustep] Localization

From: richard
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnustep] Localization
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:52:26 +0100

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:12:26 +0400, igor@raduga.dyndns.org wrote:
> Hello,
> How can I make localized strings for GNUstep applications?
>
> igor@igorpc:gstep-core/Testing> openapp Edit.app
> Sep 21 16:08:22 Edit[19162] start displaying the menu...
> Sep 21 16:08:22 Edit[19162] Failed to locate strings file Localizable
>
> I'm using ru_RU.KOI8-R locale. I assume that there is some way
> to do this.  I have searched mailing list archives for "locali"
> and had not found anything.
> Apps don't have text in menus.
>
> How can I help, if this is not realized? I don't have any expirience
> in Objective C.

You create one or more Localizable.strings files in language specific
subdirectories of your Apps Resources directory.  Each file contains key/value
pairings, where the key is the string in a default language (normally
english), and the value is the string in the other (localized) language.

You then use NSBundles localizedStringForKey:value:table: method to fetch the
appropriate localized version for each string you want to localize.

If you want to have alternative character-sets for the same language, you
need to specify different table names dependent on the character sets you want
to use.

To the best of my knowledge, the above stuff works fine - however, the
NSString methods for localized formatting of strings are not implemented - and
would be useful to have.